files to download
5 Yr. Strategic Plan
Strategic Plan Overview
MISSION STATEMENT FOR THE SOCIAL ACTION COMMITTEE
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" -Mahatma Gandhi
The Carbondale Unitarian Fellowship is committed to service to our community, our nation and the global village. The social action committee is one of the groups that functions to develop effective and meaningful ways to put our UU Principles into action. Social Action provides meaning to our own lives by forcing us to look beyond our lives, to risk ourselves, and learn from others. Social Action further enables us to attach real compassion to what otherwise might be abstract principles of justice and equity, and Social Action offers us a way to celebrate our blessings with others.
Some of the activities and events, or ongoing activities that our fellowship members are involved with in the larger community include:
- Helping to plan, finance, and participate in the annual Martin Luther King Jr. Community Service.
- Along with Carbondale’s Church of the Good Shepherd (UCC), CUF established and sponsor The Rainbow Café which provides a safe and welcoming environment for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender youth, their friends, and those questioning their orientation by creating a space where they are affirmed and offered non-judgmental support and access to personal, community, and spiritual resources. http://www.cuuf.net/rainbowcafe/
- Sale of Fair Trade coffee---Once a month Fair Trade coffee and chocolate are available for sale after the Sunday Service.
- Feed My Sheep is a community soup kitchen that provides free meals every week day at the Bethel A.M.E. Church in Carbondale. CUF volunteers cook and deliver meals on the last Tuesday of each month. (http://www.bethelame62901.org/feed-my-sheep.html)
- Unitarian Universalist Service committee (UUSC)- including Guest at Your Table Boxes, Help research and distribute information on UUSC Youth Camps and other projects.
- Good Samaritan Food Pantry- organizing donations of food items in November and delivering the items to the Food Pantry at the University Baptist church.
- UUA United Nations office –
- Trick or Treat for UNICEF- Accompany CUF children with the collection and/or assist with their Halloween party.
- The Carbondale Women's Center----Help the CUF children to bake and deliver bread to the Women's Center in November. Solicit funds for and make Easter Baskets in March. http://www.thewomensctr.org/
-Spirit of Christmas Gift Giving Program – an annual program to provide gifts to needy adults and children.
-Peace Coalition of Southern Illinois – participate in local activities. http://www.sipeace.org/
- Our Zambian Partnership - Our support and close bond with Ranchhod Community Services and Hospice in Kabwe, Zambia began in June of 2003 when Hospice of Southern Illinois became partnered with this HIV/AIDS program. The program also works with "street kids," provides voluntary testing and counseling, goes to outpost clinics in remote villages, provides ARV's and other medications for opportunistic infections and many other services. CUF members have regularly visited Zambia since this partnership began. Others help by planning or participating in our major fundraiser/benefit concert/silent auction each spring and our summer yard sale.
HELP US TO LIVE OUT OUR PRINCIPLES AND MAKE
Minister's Office Hours: